This area was known to its first settlers for many years as South Lillooet, named after the main south branch of the Lillooet River, now called the Alouette. The earliest settler in the area was Samuel Edge, who in 1876 became the first white man to climb to the summit of Golden Ears. The first local post office was opened in 1911, but it was felt that the name South Lillooet was too confusing; Postmaster E.W. Prowse was charged with the task of suggesting a new name. The area must have reminded Prowse of the Devonshire moors, where as a child he spent time at his grandfather's house, Yennadon Manor; the name Yennadon has been used ever since. Much of the area remains today in active agricultural production.

Former Schoolhouse

22413 136 Avenue
Circa 1914

This school is a standard Department of Public Works design, that was built on a one acre parcel subdivided from John Kosky's property. It has now been converted to a private residence. It is prominently located at the intersection of 224 Street and 132 Avenue.

Kosky Residence

22679 136 Avenue
Circa 1890 or Later

The exact date of construction of this farm house is unknown. This quarter section was owned by George Edge, and there was a building on the site by 1890. The farm was acquired by John Kosky in 1899, who may have retained the original house, or else rebuilt it. It survives as an extremely well-preserved far residence from the Victorian era, one of few such in the District.

Marc Residence

Marc Road (Street Address)
RR #2 (Legal Address)
Circa 1910

Andy Marc was a lawyer turned logger. He built a home in a remote forest area north of Yennadon, and established a saw mill. His property is now part of the UBC Research Forest.